Unaffiliated First Nations
The Ontario First Nations Technical Services Corporation is proud to be the primary technical advisory service provider for the 22 Unaffiliated First Nations (UFNs) in Ontario.
Since these communities are not affiliated with a Tribal Council to receive services, OFNTSC is the organization they count on for technical advisory services in the areas of emergency planning, engineering, environment, fuel systems management, fire safety, housing, infrastructure, operations & maintenance and water & wastewater.
Many of the First Nations listed below are currently engaged with OFNTSC on projects related to Water Treatment Plants, Asset Management, Emergency Planning, Housing Inspections and more!
All UFNs are welcome to approach OFNTSC at any time to ask about the services we provide and what we might be able to do to help their community achieve technical self-reliance:
- Algonquins of Pikwakanagan
- Anishnaabeg of Naongashiing
- Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation
- Saugeen First Nation
- Curve Lake First Nation
- Hiawatha First Nation
- Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation
- Shawanaga First Nation
- Temagami First Nation
- Wahta Mohawks
- Michipicoten First Nation
- Mishkeegogamang First Nation
- Gull Bay First Nation
- Asubpeeschoseewagong First Nation
- Naotkamegwanning First Nation
- Ojibways of Pic River
- Pays Plat First Nation
- Red Rock Indian Band
- Ojibway Nation of Saugeen
- Wahgoshig First Nation
- Weenusk First Nation
- Caldwell First Nation
In addition to working directly with the Unaffiliated First Nations, the OFNTSC also works with Tribal Councils from time-to-time when a project may require additional resources. Since Tribal Councils receive funding to provide technical advisory services to their member First Nations, communities that are part of a Tribal Council must first approach their Tribal Council before approaching OFNTSC for assistance.
OFNTSC staff maintain positive working relationships with all of the Tribal Councils in Ontario (listed below):
- Anishnaabeg of Kabapikotawangag Resource Council
- Bimose Tribal Council
- Independent First Nations Alliance
- Keewaytinook Okimakanak Tribal Council
- Matawa First Nations Management
- Mushkegowuk Tribal Council
- Nokiiwin Tribal Council Inc.
- North Shore Tribal Council
- Ogemawahj Tribal Council
- Pwi-Di-Goo-Zing-Ne-Yaa-hing Advisory Services
- Shibogama First Nations Council
- Southern First Nations Secretariat
- United Chiefs and Councils of Mnidoo Mnising
- Waabnoong Bemjiwang Association of First Nations
- Wabun Tribal Council
- Windigo First Nations Council
Large First Nations
Occasionally, OFNTSC works with the Large First Nations in Ontario.
Large First Nations often provide technical advisory services to their own communities as they are funded by Indigenous Services Canada. However, there are times when a large First Nation may require “Enhanced Technical Services” and can request assistance from OFNTSC.
Below is a list of the Large First Nations in Ontario:
- Bkejwanong Territory (Walpole Island)
- Mohawk Council of Akwesasne
- Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte
- Sandy Lake
- Six Nations of the Grand River Territory
- Wikwemikong Unceded Indian Reserve