Location: Thunder Bay
The mandate of the Ontario First Nations Technical Services Corporation (OFNTSC) is to provide engineering and technical advisory services to all Unaffiliated First Nations and Tribal Councils in Ontario. The OFNTSC requires the services of an Industrial Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright to assist the OFNTSC HUB Services team.
This position work will require 90% of the time travelling/working in First Nation communities within Ontario and 10% time in home/remote office.
Under the general supervision of the OFNTSC HUB Manager and Coordinator, the Industrial Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright is responsible for:
Working onsite at Unaffiliated First Nation water and wastewater plants; installation, inspection, adjustment and repair of equipment while following safety rules and regulations. Maintain all equipment to required standards and be responsive to the First Nations’ operators needs and equipment failures. Work as part of a team but routinely perform work independently and maintain a high level of accuracy, safety and professionalism, while performing the duties.
- Reading diagrams and schematic drawings to determine work procedures.
- Installing industrial machinery and mechanical equipment according to layout plans
- using hand and power tools.
- Participating in the PM program on all equipment for continuous improvement of all equipment.
- Keeping detailed and accurate maintenance reports, documentation and work orders.
- Ensures operation of machinery and mechanical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements on engines, motors, pneumatic and hydraulic equipment, pumps and piping systems, and other water plant machines; following diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, manufacturer instructions, and engineering specifications; troubleshooting malfunctions.
- Locates sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; using precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Removes defective parts by dismantling devices; using hoists, cranes, and hand and power tools; examining form and texture of parts.
- Adjusts functional parts of devices and control instruments by using hand tools, alignment by levels, plumb bobs, dial indicators and straightedges.
- Controls downtime by informing UFN Water Plant operators of routine preventive maintenance techniques; monitoring compliance and input of Preventative Maintenance (PM) work orders.
- Assist and recommend equipment, parts, and supplies inventories by checking stock at each site to determine inventory level; anticipating needed equipment, parts, and supplies; assist with placing and expediting orders; verifying receipt.
- Prepares mechanical maintenance reports and audits by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains continuity among Hub technicians and operators by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Support the operation of water treatment and distribution systems.
- Check, clean & lubricate waterworks equipment.
- Adjust and repair waterworks equipment under the direction of a qualified WTP Operator.
- Testing and monitoring using chemicals (such as chlorine).
- Perform general maintenance on waterworks equipment.
- Provide labour support for water & wastewater operations as needed.
Education & Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant work experience
- Journeyman ticket/certificate; Red seal experience is a definite asset but not required
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills allowing one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Working knowledge of safety standards of equipment
- Experience using Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) is an asset
- Experience with Mig and Stick welding
- Experience in maintenance related to a regulated Water Treatment Systems is an asset
- Minimum of Grade 12/GED education or relevant post-secondary education in a technical or environmental field of knowledge.
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License.
Skills and Abilities
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently without supervision and meet tight deadlines.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Physical ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Own Tools/Equipment: Steel-toed safety boots and tools
Conditions of Employment
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class “G” Ontario Driver’s License, or equivalent.
- Must be competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and be capable of issuing clearly understandable verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to travel to Unaffiliated First Nations extensively by vehicle or small aircraft.
Come join our growing organization! | Abi wiijii’en ndo wiiji-nakiindwin myaajiiging | Taskwatia’táhrhahs ne onkwentióhkwa né:ne iotehiahróntie!
In efforts to promote the safety, security, and wellbeing of staff members, communities, and people we come into contact with, the OFNTSC Human Resources department will be giving preference to applicants who have proof of two full doses of a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination.
Please mark clearly on subject line of the email “HUB INDUSTRIAL MAINTENANCE MECHANIC/MILLWRIGHT” and send your cover letter and resume with the attachment labelled as [LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_HUB INDUSTRIAL MAINTENANCE MECHANIC/MILLWRIGHT]
We thank all applicants, however only those receiving an interview will be contacted.